Saturday, February 13, 2016

Flight dates home?!

Last Thursday I got an email from EF saying: EF Homebound Flight Wave. In this email I found out that I'm assigned to the wave of June 7th to June 9th. This means that I'm flying home on one of those days which is only 3,5 months away. This email also made me realize that I should actually post on my blog again. So here's a blogpost with everything that's been going on in my life lately!

Snow!!!!
The play
I have rehearsals for 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' almost every day after school. The part I play is that of a fairy and I have all my lines memorized by now. I've also seen my costume already which is really cute. We perform on March 23rd and 24th, which is the week my parents and sister are here. I'm so happy they are gonna be able to see it! Play practice is also a great way to make new friends and I met a lot of nice people there. Doing a Shakespeare play is not boring like you would think, but it's fun and challenging. I love it!



Our house covered with snow!
Blizzard?!
As you may have heard on the news, there was a blizzard on the east coast 3 weeks ago. Even in South Carolina fell a lot of snow, which is not common. Because of the snow, we didn't have to go to school for 2 days. Everyone goes to school by car or school bus, and it was too dangerous for those to drive on the roads. I only went outside a few times and just chilled inside the rest of the time. It was fun to finally see snow here and to have days off of school!

On top of the mountain at the Natural Helpers retreat!
In January some other fun things happened too: I went to my first American wedding, which was beautiful! I also went on the 'Natural Helpers Retreat'. This probably doesn't sound familiar, so let me explain. My school has a club called 'Natural Helpers'. This is for students at school who got nominated because a lot of people trust them and they are good at helping others. I was able to join the club too! Everyone in the club went on a trip to the mountains together. We stayed in cabins and did all kinds of activities and games during the day, where we learned about helping other people. We went on a hike as well, which was the hardest hike in my entire life! We basically climbed a mountain. The view was worth it though!

Dutch food!
Another fun thing is that I met some Dutch - speaking people! I have two really nice friends whose grandparents came to the USA from the Netherlands in their teenage years. I was able to visit them and talk Dutch with them! They also had speculaas (a Dutch cookie) and I brought some stroopwafels. It was so fun to kinda feel like I was home!

Winter Jam!
Last Friday I went to something called 'Winter Jam'. It is a big christian concert with all kinds of different bands and singers. I've never been in a stadium with so many people, it was crazy. I didn't know a lot of the songs but it was an awesome night!

Another thing that's going on here in South Carolina are the presidential elections! I like to follow the news so it's really interesting to be in the USA when all of this happens. The republican primary is here February 20th and the democratic one February 27th. Right now there's a lot of campaigning and debates going on. It's not strange to see a bus with one of the presidential candidates pass, haha!

Can't wait!
Spring Break
It's not too long until Spring Break comes! My parents and sister will be here the week before Spring Break and during Spring Break we'll travel to California together. We're flying to Los Angeles and driving up to San Francisco, with a stop at the Yosemite National Park. I'm excited to be able to see the West Coast, but mostly to be together with my family. If you have any tips for places to visit during our trip, let me know!

If you're an exchange student too, when are you going home? 

No comments:

Post a Comment