Sunday, June 14, 2015

Update

Because I haven't written on my blog for a while I wanted to give you a little update of what's going on. I've been quite busy with school lately, and it's not finished yet because my final test week is coming up. After that I only have to review my tests and hand in my school books though, so that's a little bit vacation already. And then my school gets out at the 3rd of July and my holiday is finally starting! I'll tell something about an EF meeting, my visa and skyping with my host family!




EF meeting
A few weekends ago there was a mandatory EF meeting, for all the students with their parents.
There were four separate meetings so there were around 40 students and parents at the meeting.
They talked about many practical things (like insurance and money), but also about our new communities, host families and high schools. We got the last information book called 'Let's go', our EF bag which we have to use as hand luggage when we fly, a passport holder and many papers with information. There was also an IEC from Kentucky as special guest, and she gave us many tips as well. Dutch people can be very direct so we have to be a little careful with that, haha. There were some EF Ambassadors too and it was really nice to hear their stories!

Only now I'm realizing how close my journey is getting and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm so happy I made the choice to do this. Now that I know where I'll be living I feel a lot more relaxed because I'm not anxiously waiting anymore, and because I'm really happy with my placement!

Visa
Another thing all the future EF students have to do in the coming weeks is to arrange a visa. EF sent us all the forms we needed and we had to apply ourselves. Firstly, you have to fill in questions on a website. Many questions. About what you're going to do, where you're going to stay, etc. That are just the normal questions. After the normal questions, there are many different questions (for me at least), like 'Are you a terrorist?' or 'Will you be smuggling organs?'
When that's done you have to make an appointment to go to the American consulate in the Netherlands. I have my appointment planned on June 22 and I'm really curious what it's going to be like. I heard that they're really strict and you can't take your mobile phone for example, so I'm pretty scared.

Skyping
I also skyped with my host family for the first time! It was great to talk to them in person, after talking on social media and by email. They are very nice and I feel like I'm really welcome in the family and that they want to make as much out of my exchange year as possible. I think I couldn't have a better host family, I can't wait to meet them in real life and cross things of my American Bucket list!
Only later I realized we had been talking for 1,5 hours, while it felt like a really short time haha. So there was definitely enough to tell :)

I'll probably leave on the fifth of august for the orientation days in New York and I will arrive in South Carolina on the eight! I'm counting down the days, 52 to go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment